Friday, January 13, 2012

Proportional Efforts Theorem




The most important achievement of my first sem of MTech, and it somehow slipped out of my last post..

Although I can say it predates my MTech days - I actually came to this reasoning during my last year of Engineering itself..
In simple words - Put as much effort a task needs and no more, be it the case that it does not turn out to be perfect!

Quite often - we end up doing things very meticulously; without caring for the time and effort that we channel into it. I am not saying that it is wrong to do so; just that it is not always right - and not always needed.
Yes, perfection is needed; and perfection takes time and effort of various kinds - but at the end of it; if the gains are not worth the effort; there is nothing that can bring back the things lost in the process.

To quote some personal findings - I gave more importance to my 8th sem internship rather than my 8th sem project; cause the former had more 'gains'. And it turned out to be pretty good; albeit a few speedbumps in the project that raised some nerves - but in the end All was Well..
Also, due consideration to be given to the fact that proportional efforts theorem was applicable for both the tasks combined; which some of them interpreted as: I barely did enough work during my 8th sem.
And I might have been through it unvoluntarily since early college days as well.

Whats the toll ? - forget perfection, forget the extraordinary, learn to be complacent with what you achieve !!
Sounds hard ??
It often did to me - earlier in my life, but now I am all for it.
When the time comes, and when I might know it has come - I have to inevitably put the effort, the time and the dedication to do well; and I dont think I have got any signal about it now!

Of course, there are ramifications; and what better example than my first semester grades. Too much is too bad - learnt it the hard way !!

But still, I stand by what I have discovered for myself(well I am sure there are lakhs of followers of this idea, I havent invented something :D); and put it to practice it as long as it does not hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment